How to make the most of Pinterest
Move over Facebook and Twitter: Pinterest is a wildly popular social media channel. With 70 million users and counting, it’s now the third most popular social media site in the U.S. How can you use Pinterest to promote your business? Here are a few suggestions:
- Pin or repin. Share pins from boards you follow, including those from relevant third parties, and not just your own.
- Pin product images. If you’re a service provider, pin pictures of people using your service. Of course, the higher the visual impact of the photo, the better. Include an actionable title, (i.e. “Learn how to do this”), as pins with a call to action spur an 80 percent higher engagement rate.
- Be trendy. Pins relating to trending topics on Pinterest have a 92 percent click-through rate. Search on the Pinterest “Popular” category, and then tailor your pins according to top-of-chart trends.
- Price your pins. Those pins displaying a listed price collect 36 percent more likes — proof that pricing transparency increases sales.
- Have a contest. Create a “Pin it to Win it” competition challenging entrants to create boards around themes common to your particular market niche. For example, if you’re a floral designer, conduct a contest for a “Win Your Dream Wedding Package,” which will foster engagement. Encourage visitors to pin products from your own site, too.
- Be a resource. Do-it-yourself tutorial pins have a 42 percent higher click-through rate. If you have how-to instructional tutorials, or DIY content on your site, blog, or YouTube channel, remember to pin it!